Foreign countries emigration South Africa

Emigrate to South Africa
Emigrate to South Africa

Do you want to spend life between wonderful coasts and safari, but not forego the standard of living you are used to from Germany? Then South Africa is just right for you.


The richest country in Africa lies between the Atlantic and the Pacific Ocean and is characterized by a breathtaking landscape, diverse fauna and flora, and a highly developed infrastructure. Of course, all of this has its price. In Cape Town in particular, rents and general living costs are rising. Nevertheless, it is worthwhile for many Germans to emigrate to South Africa.

As a tourist, you can easily stay in South Africa for up to 90 days with a tourist visa. In addition, you have the option of having this visa extended twice by the responsible authorities. If you would like to stay in South Africa beyond this period or want to pursue a job, you need a permanent residence permit. To do this, you need to apply to the local immigration office. The authority decides for itself whether you will receive such a permit and not only checks your language skills, but also whether you offer the country and / or the population added value.


The health system in South Africa is divided into two areas, the public and the private sector. About 80% of the population of South Africa use the public health system, which however does not meet European standards. As a tourist or expatriate, you should therefore seek private health insurance. Private hospitals usually exceed patient requirements and expectations. Good staff, the latest technology and hardly any waiting times promise fast, high-quality and efficient consultations and treatments.


In order to be able to work in South Africa, you need a work permit. However, you will only receive this in connection with a permanent residence permit (“Permanent Residence Permit” see point “Living”). In order to apply for this, however, you need a permanent or temporary employment contract with a local company. In general, South Africa suffers from a shortage of skilled workers, so foreign workers with the appropriate “know-how” have a good chance of finding managerial positions in African companies. The Germans in South Africa are considered to be well educated, hardworking and reliable.


Long after apartheid ended, there is still a large gap between the poor and the rich in South Africa. You should avoid areas of the so-called “townships” (slums) and avoid confrontations.


In South Africa, a distinction is made between “tax residents” and “non-tax residents”. Tax residents are all persons who stay 91 days and / or longer in South Africa. The “world income principle” has been in effect for these since 01.01.2001, which means that all income must be taxed, regardless of where it was earned. For “non-tax residents” only the income earned in South Africa has to be taxed. Depending on the income, the income tax rate is between 18-40%.

Emigration regulations

If you want to emigrate to South Africa, you need the following documents:

  • two passport photos
  • a medical report that must not be older than six months
  • a radiological report which must not be older than six months
  • a police clearance certificate that must not be older than six months
  • a birth certificate
  • a marriage certificate, if applicable
  • a death certificate for widows / widowers
  • a certificate of divorce, if applicable
  • different documents depending on the visa

In agreement with the Consulate General, all documents should be sent to the competent authority in South Africa and certified.

The immigration process in South Africa is lengthy and complicated in many places. We therefore strongly recommend the assistance of an immigration officer. So you can be sure that nothing stands in the way of your dream of South Africa.

Should you still have any questions about the topic of “emigrating to South Africa”, we would be very happy to provide you with more information. Give us a call or send us an email, we look forward to hearing from you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Residence regulations

  • The financial independence visa: For this you have to have € 720,000 in your name and the processing time is 12 - 24 months.

  • Business visa: For this you need a local tax number from the local tax office and of course you need a company registration. You must invest € 350,000 in either cash or a property / asset and 60% of your employees must be South African. You have to explain to the local Chamber of Industry and Commerce how your business uses South Africa economically.

  • Pension Visa: The CV will be sent to the company (Intergate Immigration or similar) that will help the applicant with this. The person must prove that they have an income of € 2,300 per month. This visa has a processing time of 8-12 weeks and is issued for 1-4 years. If you have this visa you can apply for an independence visa.

Otherwise you can of course apply for a normal extended vacation visa; 3 months in a row is normal.

This information was sent to us by the Intergate Immigration Service.